Preparation Time: <10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Broken wheat / Dalia / Cracked wheat - 1 cup, dry roasted
Water - 2 cups
Mustard seeds and Urad dal - 1/2 teaspoon
Channa dal - 1/2 tablespoon
Curry leaves - 1 string
Green chillies - 3 nos, slit
Onion - 1 medium size, finely sliced
Tomato - 1 no, chopped
Oil - 2 teaspoons
Salt - to taste
1) In a pan or kadai, dry roast the broken wheat till it slightly changes in its colour. Allow it to cool. Chop onion and tomato.
2) In a pressure cooker, heat oil in a wide pan / kadai. Add mustard seeds and urad dal when it is hot.
3) When mustard seeds splutter and pop up, add channa dal, curry leaves and green chillies. Saute till the channa dal becomes golden brown.
4) Add onions and fry them well till it turns soft.
5) Now, add tomato and saute for a minute.
6) Add broken wheat. Saute for a second and add salt and water. Mix well.
7) Cover the pressure cooker using lid and pressure cook it for 3 whistles.
8) Wait till the steam releases. Once done, fluff it using a spoon. Serve hot with curd or any chutney.
9) That's it. Broken wheat upma is ready.
1) Use roasted broken wheat for the best texture of the upma.
2) Use more water if required.
3) The same procedure can be followed in a pan but it takes slightly longer time to cook.