Carrot - 1 cup, grated
Tamarind - a pinch
Urid dal - 2 teaspoons
Dry red chilli - 4 nos
Salt - to taste
Asafoetida - a pinch
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 1 string
Oil - 3 teaspoons
1) Scrap the skin of the carrots to remove the dead skin. Then grate them well.
2) Soak tamarind in two tablespoons of warm water. Make sure the tamarind doesn't have any seeds in it.
3) Take a kadai / frying pan and heat oil. Add urid dal, red chilli followed by grated carrots. Saute them well till the raw smell of carrot disappears.
4) Once done, allow the mixture to cool down.
5) Grind the sauteed ingredients in a mixer / food processor by adding salt. After few seconds, add soaked tamarind with water. Grind again to a smooth paste. If required, you can add water for grinding.
6) In a frying pan, heat oil and put mustard seeds.
7) When they seeds splutter, add curry leaves and asafoetida.
8) Add this seasoning with the chutney.
9) The chutney is now ready to be served with Idly, Dosa or Roti. Enjoyyy!
1) Adjust urid dal and dry red chilli as per requirement.