Preparation Time: 15-20 Minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
Makes: 20 Vadai's
Channa Dal - 1 cup
Toor Dal - 1/2 cup
Salt - to taste
Oil - for deep frying
For mixing with the batter: (All need to be finely chopped)
Onion - 1 small size
Green chillies - 2
curry leaves - 1 string
coriander leaves - 2 strings
cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
1) Wash Channa dal and toor dal and soak it in warm water for an hour or two hrs in normal water.
2) After an hour or two, when dal is soaked well, drain the excess water from the soaked dal and grind it coarsely without adding water. If required, may be you can add 1 or 2 teaspoons of water.
3) Mix the ingredients given for mixing with the ground dal.
4) Add salt and mix well.
5) Heat oil in a frying pan/Kadai.
6) When the oil is hot, take a small quantity of dal (about the size of half lemon) in your hand and press it well in your palm to form a small patty (vadai). Make six to seven patty's at a time and keep it aside to be fried in oil.
7) Gently lower these patty's in the oil. Let the flame be at medium level at all times.
8) Fry the patty's until they become golden brown
9) Once fried, remove these patty's from oil and keep it on a plate/bowl with the paper towel (tissue paper) so that the excess oil from the patty's gets absorbed by the paper.
10) Serve these patty's hot with chutney or sauce.