Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Tomato - 3 medium size, finely chopped
Rice - 1 cup
Onion - 1 medium size, chopped
Ginger - 1 teaspoon, minced
Garlic - 1 teaspoon, minced
Cloves - 1 no
Fennel seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 1 string
Oil/butter/ghee - 4 teaspoon
Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon / to taste
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander leaves - 1 string, for garnishing
Mustard seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Salt - to taste
1) Wash rice two or three times thoroughly using water. Keep aside after washing.
2) In a steam cooker, Heat oil and add mustard seeds and fennel seeds.
3) when they crackle, add crushed clove and curry leaves.
4) Add chopped onions and saute till they are translucent.
5) Add minced ginger and garlic. Saute for few seconds.
6) Add chopped tomatoes and saute till they are completely mashed.
7) Add red chilli powder and coriander powder and fry till the raw smeel of masala goes off.
8) Add washed rice and add 2 cups of water. Add salt to taste.
9) Mix well and cover the cooker using the lid.
10) Wait for 3 whistles. When steam releases from cooker, mix the rice gently. Garnish with coriander leaves.
11) Tomato rice is ready and Serve hot with any raitha.