When I stumbled on this self frosting nutella cup cakes on web, I thought of preparing it immediately and bought Nutella from market. All the nutella bottles which I bought before were over within two days (Am I a Nutella addict?). There is no surprise in that. However this time, I thought of making the cupcakes without fail with Nutella. So I started making this cup cake as an evening snack and it came out really well.
Well for those who haven't come across Nutella, it is a brand name of hazel-nut and chocolate flavoured sweet spread which has its origins at Italy. It is one of the popular all over the world irrespective of its fat content. It is mostly used with breads and sandwiches and later on people started adopting it for various recipes because of its wonderful taste. Nowadays you can find many cookies and cakes using this spread as a main ingredient. Try this recipe and you will never say 'NO' to Nutella.
If you are planning to prepare this cake it is not necessarily to use only nutella. Any hazelnut spread/peanut spread/chocolate spread can be used. I have tried already with other brand and the results were good.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 12 cup cakes
Butter - 10 tablespoons / 240 grams
White Sugar - 3/4 cup
Eggs - 3 nos
Vanilla Extract - 1/2 teaspoon
All Purpose flour - 1 and 3/4 cups
Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
Baking powder - 2 teaspoon
Nutella - 1/4 cup
1) Allow the refrigerated butter,eggs and nutella to come down to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 160C(325F). Place cupcake liners in the Muffin tray.
2) In a mixing bowl, add butter and sugar and beat them using a whisk till it gets a creamy appearance. It might take approximately 2 minutes.
3) Add one egg at a time and beat the mixture in between until the egg is perfectly blended with the mixture.
4) Add vanilla extract, flour, salt and baking powder and continue mixing until the ingredients are mixed well. The batter will appear thick and difficult to pour. Do not over mix.
5) Using a ice cream scoop or tablespoon, fill the batter in the cupcake liners. If you use tablespoon, fill 2 tablespoon for 1 cupcake liner.
6) They should be 3/4 fill when the batter is over.
7) Top or keep 1/2 teaspoon of nutella on each cupcake batter.
8) Using a toothpick swirl the nutella in with the batter. Make sure to fold a bit of batter up over the nutella. Do not over swirl the nutella as it might result in the batter oozing out sideways out of of the cup liners during baking.
9) Bake exactly for 20 minutes.
10) Cool and serve with tea or coffee.