Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Semiya / Vermicelli - 1 cup / 1 handful
Milk - 3 cups, boiled
Water - 1 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Butter - 1 tablespoon
Cashew Nuts - 10
Raisins - 5
Almond - 5
Cardamom powder - a pinch
1) In a wok, heat butter and allow it to melt.
2) Add cashew nuts, raisins and almond. Fry till all nuts become golden brown. Transfer to another plate and keep aside.
3) In the same pan, add vermicelli and fry to make them crisp and golden brown.
4) Transfer the golden fried vermicelli to a deep pan and add a cup of water. Boil it for few minutes.
5) When vermicelli becomes soft in a boiling water, add boiled milk and stir for some time. let it cook for sometime till the vermicelli becomes completely soft.
6) Add sugar and stir well. when it comes to your desired consistency, Remove from heat. Keep in mind that the payasam become thick when it is cooling.
7) Garnish with fried nuts.(As said in step 2).
8) Serve hot or cold.