One of my Mom-in-law's recipe. She is my great cooking inspiration who changes only the method with the same ingredients and drive different and unique taste for each recipe. I am yet to learn more and more from her.
She prepares this recipe in many ways. but I adopted only one which I find easy and blogged here. I have prepared this recipe using french beans wherein you are free to replace this with cluster beans, plantain
flower and cabbage. Use this a base and do your own variations with other vegetables.
As the name depicts, it is a crumple of lentils cooked with vegetables and served as a side dish for steamed rice in India.
Preparation Time: 2 hours + 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
Beans - 200 Grams, chopped
Toor Dal - 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Dry Red chillies - 4 nos / to taste
Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida - a pinch
Curry leaves - 1 string
Mustard Seeds and urid dal - 1/2 teaspoon
Oil - 3 teaspoon
Salt - to taste
1) Cook the chopped beans with salt using microwave or in a pot by sprinkling handful of water. Beans should be well cooked for this recipe. Keep it aside.
2) Soak the toor dal in water minimun for 2 hours. After 2 hours drain the water from toor Dal and grind it coarsely with cumin seeds, 3 red chillies, turmeric powder, a pinch of salt and asafoetida. Don't add water. The moisture in the dal is enough.
3) Take a kadai and heat oil in it.
4) Add mustard seeds and urid dal when it is hot. Make them to splutter.
5) Add curry leaves, remaining red chillies and after a second add ground dal mix.
6) Turn the flame to medium and stir the ground dal and cook for 7-10 minutes covered. Make sure it is not burting. (You can use this in between time to cook beans if you would like to do simultaneous work and save time).
7) Then, stir continuouly till they become crumble.Cook uncovered for 3 minutes by stirring continuously.
8) Add cooked beans and mix well. Cook again for few minutes.
9) Beans paruppu usili is ready to serve.
I used birdseye red chilli for grinding to get spiciness and added the usual one for seasoning to get flavour. It is your choice to choose any of these or your own.