I have 'N' number of variety rice recipes in my hands and the courtesy is to my lunch box. It is not because we liked it much, but it is for its simplicity. They are easy to carry and stomach filling for the luch time too.
Mint Pulao is prepared based on the recipe of vegetable pulao where vegetables are substituted by only mint. When I prepared this recipe for first time, I felt something was missing and added tomatoes when I prepared for next time. It was really tasted good with the flavour of mint, very little tangy taste from tomato and rich taste derived from coconut milk. From then, I started to prepare this pulao very often.
Preparation Time: <10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes + 20 minutes to cook rice
Rice - 1 cup
Mint leaves - 1 cup, very finely chopped
Coconut Milk - 1/2 cup
Onion - 1 small one, chopped
Tomato - 1 medium one, finely chopped
Ginger and Garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
Green chillies - 2
Salt - to taste
Oil - 3 teaspoon
Cardamom - 2 no,crushed
Cloves - 2 no, crushed
Bay leaves - 1/2
Fennel seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
1) Wash rice thoroughly and cook it using pressure cooker or microwave. Once cooked allow the rice to cool. Keep it aside.
2) Wash mint leaves thoroughly and chop them very finely. Keep it aside.
3) In a pan, heat oil and add crushed cardamon, fennel seeds, cloves and bay leaves. Allow them to brown. You can sense the nice aroma spreads out the kitchen.
4) Add onion and saute them till they are translucent.
5) Add ginger, garlic paste and minced green chilli. Saute for few minutes.
6) Add tomato and saute till they are completely mashed.
7) Add mint leaves and continue sauteing.
8) When mint leaves starts to cook, add coconut milk.
9) Cook till the water content in the pan is completely evaporates.
10) Now, Add rice and mix gently without breaking the rice. Make sure you turn the flame to low.
11) Serve hot with any raita.