Coconut rice is the one which I prepare very often as it is very simple except the time taking for grating the coconut. When I see fresh, tasty coconuts immediately my mind will think about making some coconut burfi or this rice. During my school days, We used to get a bag of coconut from our fields and My mom used to make many dishes using it among which coconut rice and coconut burfi are my favourite.
I usually prepare this coconut rice (thengai sadam) in 3 different ways but I have blogged one of them here and have given the notes for other two methods. Now enjoy the recipe!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes (30-40 minutes including to cook rice)
Cooked Rice - 1.5 cup
Grated Coconut - 1 cup/half shell
Dry red chilli - 2 nos
green chilli - 2 nos, slit
Salt - to taste
Roasted unsalted peanuts - 1 tablespoon
Channa dal - 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds and Urid dal - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 1 string
Asafoetida - a pinch
Oil - 2 teaspoons
Coriander leaves - for garnishing
1) Take a pan and heat oil in it. When it is hot and not smoking, add channa dal.
2) When channa dal turns slightly brown colour, add mustard seeds and urid dal. Allow them to crackle.
1) Instead of peanuts, you can also add cashew nuts.
2) If you are using freshly cooked rice, then spread over the wide plate to cool and then add to the fried coconut.
3) For rich taste, cook 1.5 cup rice with 1 cup of coconut milk and 2 cups of water.
4) Mix grated coconut with cooked rice and add only the seasoning. This is another easy method.
5) Use coconut oil for seasoning to get nice flavor.
Sending this recipes to Kavi's Healthy Cooking Challenge - Healthy Lunch Event.