Preparation and Cooking Time: 30 minutes + 10 minutes for cooling
Red capsicum - 2 nos, big size
Urad dal - 2 tablespoons
Dry red chilli - 6-7 nos or adjust to your spice level
Salt - to taste
Tamarind - 1 small pinch
Oil - 5 teaspoons
Mustard seeds and urid dal - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 1 string
Asafoetida - a pinch, optional
1) Remove the seeds from red capsicum and cut into cubes. Soak tamarind in 3 tablespoons of warm water.
2) In a Kadai/Pan, Dry roast urid dal and dry red chillies in low flame. When urid dal releases nice aroma and turns light brown colour, transfer it to a dry plate.
3) In the same pan, add 3 teaspoons of oil and fry cubed capsicums till they are tender and well cooked. Allow it to cool completely.
4) Combine urid dal, dry red chillies, capsicum, salt and tamarind and grind using a mixer/coffee grinder till you get a smooth or coarse texture (texture is absolutely your preference and also add water as per requirements). Transfer the ground ingredients to a bowl.
5) Heat the remaining oil in tempering/same pan. When it is hot, add mustard seeds and urid dal.
6) When mustard seeds splutter, turn the flame off and add curry leaves and asafoetida.
7) Pour this seasoning to the chutney and mix well.
8) Serve with Dosa or Idly.
1) Add channa dal with urid dal if you prefer. Add 1or 2 garlic clove(s) for flavor if you prefer.
2) Make sure to remove the seeds, it might burst while frying.