Hi All, Hope you all are doing good. I am back with braided bread. I bookmarked this recipe from Sangee's Spicy treats. I tried it twice and the results were awesome. They were really easy to prepare except the factor of time.
When I was about to try it for the first time, I thought of preparing a tomato, basil and cheese stuffing to make the bread pure Italian. But the recipe called for cheese in larger quantity. So, I decided to change the stuffing. I tried first time with mixed vegetables for dinner. Next time, I used basic samosa stuffing. Both the versions came out good. I am planning to prepare minced meat next time for the stuffing.
This is the advantage of using the stuffing bread. They allow customisation easily. Substitute ingredients according to your wish for the stuffing and enjoy!
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Idle Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 10-20 minutes
Makes: 2 medium size breads
All purpose flour/Plain flour/Maida - 1 and 1/2 cup
Wheat flour / Atta - 1/2 cup
Active dry yeast - 1 packet/7g
Olive Oil - 2 tablespoons + 1/2 teaspoon
Salt - to taste
Milk - 1/2 cup + extra for making soft dough and for brushing.
Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Oil - 2 teaspoons
Potato - 3 large nos, boiled, roughly chopped
Fresh green peas - 1/2 cup
Salt - to taste
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Garam masala - a pinch
Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Amchoor powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Chat masala - 1/2 teaspoon
1) Heat Oil in a wide pan and add cumin seeds when it is hot.
1) In a small bowl, mix yeast and 1/2 cup of warm milk. Set it aside for 5-7 minutes for proving. Keep aside.
2) In a large mixing bowl, add all purpose flour and wheat flour. Mix well.
3) Add salt and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix again roughly.
6) Grease the bowl and coat the dough using 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil. Place the dough inside the bowl and cover using a cling sheet.
8) Meanwhile, prepare stuffing as prescribed above of the these steps and line the parchment paper in the baking tray. Sprinkle some cornmeal or semolina over it for rolling the bread(Optional). Set aside.
17) After 30 minutes, brush it with milk and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top of it. Keep inside the oven.
19) Once the bread is ready, remove from oven and sprinkle some grated cheese on top(optional) of it and cool for 5 minutes.
20) Slice into pieces and serve warm or hot.
1) Stuffing can be varied as per your personal preference.
2) You can also roll the dough into rectangle shape instead of oval and proceed with the remaning steps. In this case, cup the ends of the bread after braiding with your palms and compress the bread into an oblong, well shaped loaf. Prefer as per your comfortability.
3) The baking time vary with respect to oven. It might sometimes take 30 minutes to get the breads done.
4) You can refrigerate/freeze this bread for future use.