I thought of using the ragi in western dishes and searched in web as a first step. Got this recipe from Sanjeetha's place and prepared it immediately without altering anything as it was my first try with whole grains in baking. Visit her place if you need more yummy and healthy bites. The ragi cookies were very good on the healthy side.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 12-15 minutes
Makes: 12 cookies
Ragi flour/Finger millet flour - 1 cup
Cornflour - 1 tablespoon
All purpose flour - 1 tablespoon
Cocoa powder - 1 tablespoon
Dark brown sugar - 1/2 cup
Butter - 1/2 cup, melted
Plain Yogurt / Curd - 1 teaspoon
Cinnamon powder - 1 teaspoon
Baking Powder - 1 teaspoon
Chocolate chips - to decorate
1) Dry roast the ragi flour for few minutes till the raw smell disappears. Use wide pan to do this. Try to avoid using chimney for this step.
5) Add melted butter,sugar and then curd to the bowl.
9) Divide the dough into small balls and arrange them in baking sheet. Slightly press the cookies
10) Sprinkle few chocolate chips on top of it.
12) Once done, transfer the cookies to a wire rack and cool completely.
13) Serve with hot tea or coffee.
1) I added cinnamon powder as my family is great fan of it. If you have not used it much before, give a try starting with low quantity. It might sometimes give strong flavour. Or use cardamom powder as sanjeetha mentioned.
2) Try to use chocolate chips which is only for baking to avoid melting during the baking time.
3) I used Ghee instead of butter as I didn't have butter at my pantry when I prepared this cookies. It was totally yumm.
Linking this event to the event, Priya's Fast Food is NOT Fat Food event which is going on here.