It is also sometimes served with potato. Till now, never tasted poha with potato but I have heard the combo works out well. Here I am posting my Mom's way of preparing aval upma with my favourite sev and lemon wedges.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Thick Poha/ Aval/ Flattened Rice - 2 cups
Turmeric powder - a big pinch
Oil - 3 teaspoons
Mustard seeds - 1/4 teaspoons
Peanuts - 1/4 cup, with skin
Green chilli - 2 nos, slit
Curry leaves - 1 string
Onion - 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Salt - to taste
Fine Sev - for serving, optional
Lemon Juice - 1/2 - 1 teaspoon, optional
Sugar - 1/2 teaspoon, optional
1) Wash poha in a running water quickly. Use colander to make this job easier.
2) Completely drain the water and transfer the poha to a bowl.
5) Add mustard seeds when it is hot.
6) Add greenchilli, curry leaves and peanuts after all the mustard seeds splutter.
8) Add onion and saute until it becomes soft and translucent. Add salt and turmeric powder. Stir well to spread the salt evenly. Add sugar if using.