Thanks to Raks. Without your recipe, I would have not thought about trying this stuffed bun. I inspired by your recipe and tried a very slightly changed version as per my family's taste. The outcome... wow..it was awesome.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Idle Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
Makes: 6 buns
Strong bread flour / Maida / All purpose flour - 1 and 1/2 cups
Milk - 1/2 cup or more as required to make soft dough
Active dry yeast - 1 packet / 7gram
Sugar - 1 tablespoon
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
Olive oil - 3 tablespoons
Milk / Olive Oil / Butter - 3 tablespoons, for brushing
Sesame seeds - 1 tablespoon, for sprinkling
For vegetable stuffing:
Oil - 2 teaspoons
Garlic - 4 cloves, finely chopped
Ginger - 1 inch length, minced
Onion - 1 very small no, finely chopped
Mixed vegetables - 2 cups (I added carrot, peas, potato,green and red capsicum)
Chat masala - 1 teaspoon
Amchoor powder - 1 teaspoon
Salt - to taste
Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
For vegetable stuffing:
1) In a kadai/pan heat oil. Add chopped garlic, ginger and onion. Fry till they are soft.
2) Add mixed vegetable of your choice and sprinkle little water. Cover and cook for few minutes till the vegetables are cooked.
4) Cook for another few minutes or till the raw smell of masala goes off.
For dough and making bun:
1) Microwave or heat the 1/2 cup of milk to lukewarm temperature. Add sugar and yeast and mix well till both dissolve well. Keep aside for 7 minutes to 10 minutes for proofing.
2) In a wide mixing bowl, take the flour and pour the proved milk yeast sugar mixture. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and salt to taste. Start mixing it using your hand and make a soft dough. Add more warm milk if required.
5) After an hour, you can see the dough has doubled in its size.
6) Punch it back and slightly knead it again with the help of oil.
7) Divide the dough into 6 equal parts and roll into balls.
9) Take a 1 dough ball and roll into a small disc.
11) Place this bun in the baking tray. Repeat this step for other dough balls.
13) Preheat the oven to 190C(375F).
14) After the second rise of the buns, brush the buns with milk/olive oil and sprinkle the sesame seeds.
15) Bake it for 15-20 minutes or till the buns turns golden brown in colour.
1) Stuffing is based on your choice. It can be a meat/chicken/paneer/tofu or it can any of your favourite vegetables.
2) Make sure the dough in very soft and NOT hard to make soft buns.