I live by gallons of juices and water and only curd rice when it comes to solid food.
I always prefer lemon pickle as my first choice of condimanet for curd rice. It is hard to imagine curd rice without pickle. right?
But it is the season for fresh mangoes. So, I went for mango pickle which can be prepared very quickly. Now a days, I am preparing this instant mango pickle very often to make a pair with curd rice.
If the recipe is very simple and easy to prepare, who will feel lazy to prepare it? I definitely don't...
Preparation Time: <10 minutes
Cooking Time: <10 minutes
Makes: 1 and 1/2 cups pickle
Fresh Firm Raw Mango - 1 no, large size, 2 cups when chopped
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Dry Red Chilli - 11 nos, increase/decrease as per your spicy level
Curry Leaves - 1 string
Oil - 1 and 1/2 tablespoons
Asafoetida - a big pinch
Salt - to taste
1) Take a thick bottom Kadai/Pan and dry roast fenugreek seeds, dry red chillies and half of mustard seeds. When you feel the nice aroma of spices and see the spices are changing in colour, turn off the heat and allow it to cool.
4) Wipe off the same kadai and heat oil in it. When the oil is hot, add the remaining mustard seeds and asafoetida.
6) Add salt as per taste and ground spice powder (as said in step 3). Mix well.
8) Allow it to cool and store in a container for future use. It stay good for a week or two.
9) Serve it with curd rice.
1) If red chilli powder, roasted fenugreek powder and mustard powder is readily available, you can directly add them to chopped mango and skip the roasting part here. Make sure not to add more fenugreek and mustard seeds powder as they give bitter taste.
2) I always like the crunch of raw mango and hence I only fry till the raw smell of spice powder goes off.
3) Increase or decrese the oil quantity as per preference.