So now I have started to post recipes one-by-one from the Drafts section. I bring to your tables, a filling appetizer (Spring Rolls). I prepare spring rolls often either by baking or shallow frying. Only when I run out of time, I prefer the deep frying option. If you prefer to deep fry them, ensure that the oil is in correct temperature. Otherwise, this dish absorbs more oil and doesn't taste good.
Preparation Time: 45-50 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 10-12 spring rolls
Onion - 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Ginger - 1 inch length, minced
Garlic - 2 nos, minced
Cabbage - 3/4 cup, finely sliced
Capsicum/Bell peppers - 1/2 cup, finely sliced, any colour
Carrot - 1/2 cup, finely sliced
Mushrooms/Black Mushrooms - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Soy Sauce - 1 tablespoon
Black pepper powder - 1 teaspoon, adjust as per taste
Salt - to taste
Spring Roll Sheets/Wrappers - 10-12
Oil - 3 tablespoons + for shallow/deep frying
Spring Onion - 5 nos
Water - 1/4 cup
1) In a pan, heat oil. When the oil is not smoking hot, add chopped onion and root part of the spring onion. Saute it for 3 minutes.
3) Add the vegetables along with the top part of the spring onion. Toss well. You can also close the vegetables with a lid and cook them if preferred. It will take approx 10-15 minutes.
5) Add soya sauce, pepper and salt as per the taste. Mix well.
7) Now the vegetable stuffing is ready and allow this mixture to cool to room temperature.
12) Continue rolling the wrapper. When you reach the other edge of the wrapper, brush the top corner with water and seal it well.
14) Now, Heat oil in the deep pan. When it is not smoking hot, add the spring rolls slowly in the oil and carefully fry them until they turn golden brown. Instead of deep frying you can even shallow fry them with a small quantity of oil. But this method takes slightly longer time than deep frying but its more healthy. You can also bake these rolls. Bake them in 220C/425F for 25-30 minutes in a preheated oven.
16) Serve the rolls warm with a sauce of your choice.
1) You can add sprouted moong beans and bamboo shoots for variations.
2) Increase or decrease the soya sauce, pepper and salt quantity as per taste.
3) Add sugar if preferred.
4) Make sure to seal the edges of the sheet properly. Otherwise the stuffing comes out while frying.
5) Shallow fried or Baked spring rolls will not give golden colour as we get while deep frying.