This recipe is from Raji Athai and she prepared it for all of us when she visited our home once. The colour of the chutney simply attracted and the taste was also awesome in her preparation. As a food blogger what else I do? Followed her recipe and made many times till now as a condiment for idly, dosa and now sharing it with you all. Remember, It pairs well with idly and all kind of dosas. So, prepare at your home and enjoy often like me.
Preparation and Cooking Time: 15 minutes + 10 minutes for cooling
Makes: 1 cup
Ripe Tomato - 5 nos, sliced ,
Garlic - 3-5 cloves, small size
Dry red chilli - 5 nos
Oil - 5 teaspoons
Mustard seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 1 string
Asafoetida - a pinch
Salt - to taste
1) Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a kadai / frying pan.
2) Add dry red chillies and garlic cloves. Fry till garlic becomes soft. Transfer to a plate.
4) Transfer this mashed tomato to the same plate and allow the ingredients to cool to room temperature.
5) Once cooled, put them with salt to the mixer and grind it to a smooth paste.
7) When it is hot, add the mustard seeds and let it crackle.
8) Add curry leaves.
9) Pour the ground tomato spice paste to the pan.
11) Transfer to serving bowl and enjoy with dosa.
1) Use ripe tomatoes for best results of taste and color.
2) Increase or decrease the number of dry red chilies as per your spice level.
3) Add a pinch of salt and cover the tomatoes using a lid for quick cooking of tomatoes.