Preparation and Cooking Time: 45-1 hour
Makes: 10 rasamalais
Rasagullas - 10 nos (Click to see how to prepare rasagullas)
Milk - 1 litre
Sugar Syrup from ragullas - 1 cup or 1/2 cup sugar
Cardamom powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Nuts(Cashew nuts, Almonds, Pistachios) - 3 tables spoons, roughly chopped
Saffron - 1 big pinch
1) Prepare rasagullas first. Save 1 cups of sugar syrup after preparing the rasagullas. Bring the rasagullas to room temperature. Slightly press it to form like a patties. You can even use rasagullas without pressing it. Keep aside.
2) Boil milk in a thick bottom pan.
3) Soak saffron in 2 tablespoons of warm milk.
4) Add sugar syrup from rasagullas to the boiling milk(Or add sugar) and continue boiling till the milk reduces in its quantity and became thick. It took 40-45 minutes for me to reduce.
5) Add the saffron to the reduced milk.
6) Add rasagulla patties to it.
7) Add cardamom powder followed by nuts.
8) Cook for 5-10 minutes in very low flame.
9) Turn the flame off and cool to room temperature and then refrigerate it.
10) Serve chill.
1) Take rasagullas from sugar syrup only when the milk is reduced to half. Slightly press it to form patties and squeeze out the excess water just before adding. This helps to get soft and spongy rasamalais.
2) Instead of a cup of sugar syrup, you can directly add 1/2 cup of sugar to the milk.