I have bookmarked many recipes to try from Prathibha's blog and this cake is one of them. She has many cakes and bakes in her blog and also many traditional recipes. If you have time, please visit her blog and enjoy the recipes.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-35 minutes
Makes: 8 Inch Round Cake
All purpose flour / Maida / Plain flour - 1 cup
Seedless dates - 18 nos
Milk - 3/4 cup
Granulated sugar - 3/4 cup (see notes)
Oil - 1/2 cup
Baking soda - 1 teaspoon
Walnuts - 1/4 cup, roughly sliced
Vanilla essence - 1/2 teaspoon
1) Sift together the flour, baking soda one or two times for even mixing.
2) Warm the milk and soak the dates in it for 10-15 minutes. I kept aside till the milk reaches the room temperature.
4) In a mixing bowl, mix oil, milk(1/2 cup and remaining 1/4 cup I used to grind the dates) and sugar.
6) Add the flour mixture to it and gently fold it till all the ingredients are properly mixed.
8) Pour this batter to the prepared pan and bake it for 30-35 minutes. After 30 minutes, check it with bamboo skewer by inserting it into the center of the cake. It should come out clean. My cake was done in 25 minutes itself. So keep on eye after 20 minutes. The baking time might vary from oven to oven.
10) Cut them into slices and enjoy with ice cream.
1) Depends upon the colour and quality of the dates, the colour of the cake will vary. I used ordinary brown seedless dates for this cake. You can also use black dates for this cake.
2) Use any nuts whichever available at your pantry.
3) You can also use brown sugar instead of white granulated sugar for this cake.
4) I added only 1/2 cup of sugar considering the sweetness in the dates. I find it enough. If you need more sweetness, then add 3/4 cup as said in the recipe.