I have been trying to bake this cake for a long time. Baking colorful cakes is a bit time consuming. But every minute spent is is worth and satisfying after seeing its outcome. I have bookmarked this recipe almost a year ago from Baking Bites after baking this colorful Suji Crystal Cookies. I used more colours whereas in the original recipe, it has only 4 colours. It is up to you to use less or more colours based on the availability.
Try baking this colourful rainbow cupcakes for Merry Christmas.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 10 nos
All purpose flour / Plain flour / Maida - 1 cup
Baking powder - 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Oil / Melted butter at room temperature - 1/2 cup
Eggs- 2 nos, large size
Butter milk - 1/2 cup (see notes)
Vanilla essence - 2 teaspoons
Food colours - Red, Green, Blue and Yellow
For Butter Cream Frosting: (For 10 cupcakes)
Butter - 1/3 cup
Icing sugar - 1 and 1/2 cups
Vanilla essence - 1 teaspoon
1) Mix all the dry ingredients(All purpose flour, baking powder and salt) in a medium size mixing bowl.
3) Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
5) Divide this white batter into 6 equal parts(approximately 1/3 cup and 1 tablespoon).
6) Preheat the oven to 175C(350F) for 10 minutes and line the cupcake try with cupcake liners. Keep it aside.
Red - 1/2 cap
Green - 1/2 cap
Blue - 1/2 cap
Yellow - 1/2 cup
Orange - mix both red and yellow
Purple - mix both red and blue
Increase or decrease the food colouring as per required colour texture. If you like more vivid colours increase / decrease the food colour accordingly.
8) Start from purple, start pouring the batter to the cupcake tray (approximately 1 tablespoon). Do not mix the batter. If it is overlapping by itself, no worries, it is perfectly fine.
9) Bake it for 15 minutes in preheated oven.
10) Transfer the cupcakes to the wire rack and cool completely.
1) Beat the butter till it becomes soft, creamy and fluffy.
2) Add icing sugar slowly and make a creamy paste.
3) Add vanilla essence and beat it again.
4) Transfer the frosting to the piping bag and you can create your favorite frosting patterns on the cupcakes. I made very simple patterns as all my cousins were waiting for it to grab.
1) I baked for two servings totally 24 cupcakes and both the times, I got perfect spongy cupcakes.
2) When I made this dish for the first batch, even after adding vanilla essence, I felt the smell of egg slightly. So if you want, you can add more vanilla essence to the cake batter.
3) If you don't have buttermilk at home, mix 1 teaspoon of lemon juice in the 1/2 cup of milk and keep aside for 5 minutes. You can use this as a substitute for butter milk. I have tried this and it gave perfect results.