There are many methods to prepare this chutney but I always go for the below described method every time to save time. It goes good with both dosa and idly. It can be served with rice too.
Remember to prepare this chutney only when the ridge gourd is fresh and not giving any bitter taste. Check it by peeling the skin and taste a very small pinch of inside soft flesh. It should not taste bitter. So don't discard the peel/ skin of the ridge gourd here after after making a curry. Instead, make this delicious chutney.
Preparation and Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 1 cup
Ridge gourd skins - 1 and 1/2 cup, roughly chopped (Skin/Peel from 2 big Ridge Ggurds)
Urid dal - 1 and 1/2 tablespoon
Tamarind - 1 small pinch, soak in 3 tablespoons of water
Salt - to taste
Dry red chillies - 4 nos
Asafoetida - a big pinch
Oil - 4 teaspoons
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 1 string
1) Take a kadai/ frying pan. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in it.
2) Add urid dal and dry red chillies. Fry it till it releases nice aroma to the kitchen.
3) Transfer to a medium size plate.
5) Once done, transfer it to the same plate. Allow all the fried ingredients to cool to room temperature.
6) Then, Blend all the cooled ingredients along with soaked tamarind with its water. Make a fine paste of it. Add salt as per your taste.
8) Serve with dosa or idly.
1) I sometimes add a tablespoon of chanaa dal to prepare this chutney along with urid dal. Add it if you wish.