My mom makes many sweet & spicy snacks including spicy pori, aval mixture, masala peanuts and few laddu varieties. Raw rice and peanut laddu is one among those recipes which she prepares not only during trips but also as a common evening snack. I am very fond of these type of home made laddus and whenever my mom visits me, with the help of her, I prepare them in large numbers and store it in a container.
Preparation Time and Cooking Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Makes: 30-35 laddus
Raw rice / Pacharisi - 4 cups
Peanuts / Verkadalai / Ground nuts - 1 cup
Granulated sugar - 2 cups
Cardamom powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Sukku / Dry ginger powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Hot milk - as required to make laddus
1) Soak raw rice for 1 hour. After an hour, drain the water completely.
2) Dry grind them without adding warer. Make a powder of it.
4) Next, dry roast the peanuts and peal the skin of it. Put in a mixer and make coarse powder of it. you can alternatively crush it using a rolling pin. Keep it aside.
6) Take a kadai / Wide pan and dry roast the rice flour till it slightly changes in its colour and the raw smell of it goes off. Allow it to cool to room temperature.
7) Mix all the ingredients (Rice flour, peanuts, sugar, cardamom and dry ginger powder) in a wide bowl. Mix well.
1) Instead of milk, you can also use ghee to make laddus. If you add ghee, the laddus stays good at room temperature for more than a week time.
2) Add milk very slowly to make laddu balls. The milk added should be just enough to make tight round balls. Do not add more milk. otherwise, laddus won't hold the round shape.
3) Add more peanuts if you prefer.