You can use leftover rice too for preparing this rice. In case, if you are cooking rice freshly, then add few teaspoons of gingelly oil to the rice after cooking and spread it in a wide plate to cool to room temperature before mixing it with mango.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: <15 minutes
Serves: 2 persons
Cooked rice - 2 cups
Raw mango - 1/2 cup, grated, tightly packed
Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Salt - to taste
Coriander leaves - 1 string, finely chopped, for garnishing
Gingelly oil - 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds - 3-4 nos
Channa dal - 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida - a big pinch
Roasted unsalted peanuts - 1 and 1/2 tablespoons
Curry leaves - 1 string
1) Heat oil in a pan. When it is hot, add the ingredients given under seasoning.
2) When channa dal and peanuts starts to turn brown in color, release nice aroma, add grated mango.
4) Add cooked rice and mix well till your don't see any trace of white rice. At the same time, make sure not to break the rice grains.
5) Garnish with coriander leaves.
6) Serve hot.
1) Add cashew nuts if you prefer.
2) The mango which I used was very tangy and hence I used it in small quantity (1/2 cup) for 2 cups of rice. Adjust the mango quantity based on the taste of the mango.