When I asked her what was the pickle from the picture(The picture was for Coconut sambol recipe and she clicked with drumstick pickle) she posted in her blog, she shared the recipe immediately. After trying her Instant lemon pickle recipe, I become fan of her pickle recipes. As a next recipe, I tried this thokku and it didn't go wrong. I tried it twice in a week time, one with onion and the other without onion. Both tasted good, but if you ask me, I give first preference to the pickle without onion. It paired well with idly, dosa, rice, roti and parathas. I tasted it with slice of bread too. :-) Overall, It is good recipe to try and taste.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 1 and 1/2 cups
Drumsticks - 5 nos, medium size
Shallots / Pearl onion / Small onion / Chinna vengayam - 1 cup
Oil - 3 tablespoons
Asafoetida - 1/8 the teaspoon
Red chilli powder - 1 tablespoon or as required
Salt - to taste
Turmeric powder - a big pinch
Roasted fenugreek powder - a big pinch
Tamarind - a lemon size ball, soaked in 3 tablespoons of warm water for 15 minutes
1) Choose tender and pulpy drumstick for preparing this thokku. Cut drumstick into 3 inch length pieces.
2) Wash and pressure cook it with a cup of water for 2 whistles. Once the steam suppresses from it, strain the water and cool the drumsticks to the room temperature.
4) Put the small onions in a mixer and just pulse it so that we can get coarse paste of it. Mix this with drumstick and keep aside.
6) Fry for few minutes till the raw smell of onion goes off.
7) Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well. Let it cook for 3 minutes.
9) Add this tamarind paste. Mix well. continue cooking till the oil oozes out from the sides of the pan. Make sure to stir at frequent interval to avoid burning.
1) This thokku can also be prepared without onion. You can also remove seeds and prepare thokku without that.
2) This thokku tasted good when it is fresh. Since the drumsticks are pressure cooked, it has moisture which reduces the shelf life of it. Keep in refrigerator for longer shelf life.
3) I used only 3 tablespoon of oil. If you wish, you can add more oil for additional taste. Add mustard seeds for seasoning if you prefer.