After that, I started to prepare methi thepla at home, whenever I find and buy fresh methi leaves from market. Theplas are easy to make and the one I posted here are prepared using skillet/tawa. You can also deep fry them.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Idle Time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Makes: 10-14 theplas
Wheat flour / Atta - 2 cups + 1/4 cups for dusting
Fresh methi leaves / Fresh fenugreek leaves - 1 and 1/2 cups, finely chopped
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tablespoon
Red chilli powder - 1 tablespoon
Coriander powder - 1 and 1/2 tablespoons
Salt - to taste
Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Thick curd / Yogurt - 1/2 cup
Water - as required to make dough
1) Pluck the fengreek leaves from stem and wash well. Chop them finely.
2) In a mixing bowl, add wheat flour, fenugreek leaves, red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and cumin seeds. Rub it using your finger tips first before adding Yogurt. The water content from methi leaves will be absorbed by flour this way.
3) Add yogurt now. Mix again for 1 minute.
5) After 15 minutes, divide the dough into equal sized balls.
6) Roll each ball into round disc with the help of flour and using a rolling pin.
7) Heat skillet / tawa and place the rolled thepla. Coat it with oil or butter.
9) Serve hot with pickle, lemon wedges and slices of onion.
1) Cumin seeds can be replaced with cumin powder.
2) Change the thickness of the theplas based on your preference. Since we had it immediately after preparing it, I rolled them as thin disc.