With those wonderful memories, when we visited her this time, she prepared Moongdal Rava Dosa upon my request. She has been preparing it for ages. There are many recipes, I learnt from her and I have posted few already here. I promise that the other recipes will also follow in my space. Coming to today's recipe, She used yellow split moong dal. I usually use whole green moong dal for making this dosa. Both the recipes give distinct taste. Try both and follow the one which u like.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Soaking Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4-5 Persons
Yellow Split Moong Dal / Whole Green Moong Dal - 1 cup (see notes)
Rava / Semolina - 1 cup
Small onion / Shallots / Pearl onion - 3/4 cup, finely chopped
Green chilli - 2 nos, finely chopped
Ginger - 1 inch length, grated
Curry leaves - 2 strings, finely chopped
Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida - a big pinch
Oil - 2 teaspoons + for making dosa
Salt - to taste
1) Soak moongdal and rava separately for an hour.
2) Meanwhile, chop onion, green chilli, ginger and curry leaves.
3) After an hour, drain the water from both. Reserve the water from rava. Grind moong dal to a smooth paste. If required, add only less quantity of water for grinding.
6) Add this sauteed ingredients to the batter. Add salt. Mix well.
8) Apply less than half a teaspoon of oil on to the corners of the dosa.
10) Serve hot with kara chuney and Idly powder.
1) If you don't get time, instead of sauting the onion, directly add to the batter to make dosa.
2) If you are using whole green moong dal, soak it for 3-5 hours or over night.