I used this opportunity to take pictures for both step wise and final. I prepared this payasam only for 3 members. Since my mom's colleague had also come, we shared it in 4 bowls and enjoyed it after offering to God. Wait, I can read your mind voice. You are wondering how I clicked these pictures when guest had come home. Am I right? I saved my share and clicked this picture when she left home.
Preparation Time: <5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Yello Split Moong Dal / Mung dal / Pasi paruppu - 3/4 cup
Jaggery - 3/4 cup
Milk - 3/4 cup, boiled
Green Cardamom - 3 nos, crushed
Ghee - 1 teaspoon
Cashewnut - 5 nos
Raisins - 5 nos
Water - 2 cups + 1/2 cup
1) Take a pan. Heat ghee. Roast cashew nuts and raisins. When cashew nuts turns brown and raisins become pulpy, transfer to a plate.
3) Transfer the roasted moong dal to a pressure cooker. Add 2 cups of water and pressure cook it for 4-5 whistles.
5) When the steam releases from the pressure cooker, remove the lid and mash it well using a ladle.
6) Filter the dissolved jaggery water to remove impurities. Add this to the mashed moong dal. Mix well.
8) Add roasted cashew nuts and raisins. Mix well.
1) Increaase of decrease the jaggery quantity as per your taste.
2) Addition of milk is optional. To make a vegan version of it, skip the milk and roast the cashews in oil. Add the same quantity of water instead of milk.
3) Payasam consistency depends upon the water quantity you add. So, increase or decrease the water based on your preference.
4) Don't forget to add the milk only after you turned the flame off. Otherwise, It might get curdled.