Here in my native, we buy fresh cow's milk and the milkman brings it daily morning and evening. Few weeks before, he brought seem paal asked me if I could buy it. My mind went back to my childhood memories which made me to say "Yes" and bought 2 litres of it. It is been ages since I tasted this and also getting a seempaal in chennai is like once in a blue moon. so, I made use of the oppurtunity I got. :-) The taste of seempaal is liked by only few but if you like it, you never forget the taste even if you happened to eat it only once.
We usually make seempaal in two ways, one is simply boiling it in a sauce pan and the other one is prepared by steam cooking. I like (also showed here) the seempal prepared using the first method which is very easy and quick. The later one additionally uses regular milk, jaggery and dry ginger powder which is steam cooked to get a flan like texture. This is usually served as dessert in my home.
Preparation Time: <5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 4 persons
Cow's first milk / Colostrum milk - 1 litre (see notes)
Sugar / Jaggery - 1/4 cup
Green Cardamom - 3 nos, crushed
1) Filter and pour the milk to a large sauce pan.
2) Boil it in medium flame.
3) In 3-5 minutes, you can see the foam that forms on top of the milk. At this time, stir well using a ladle.
5) Add sugar now. Increase or decrease the sugar as per your taste.
6) Add crushed cardamom. You can also add 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom powder instead of crushed whole cardamom.
8) Pour in bowls and serve warm or chill. It can be served with or without whey.
1) Cows first milk here, refers to the milk produced after delivering a calf. Usually, this milk is collected for first 3 to 7 days.
2) If you add jaggery the texture of the milk slightly changes.