This chutney recipe is similar to mint chutney recipe where mint leaves are replaced with curry leaves. If you have concerns about using the coconut in this chutney recipe, just skip it. But if you are doing so, saute the ground chutney in low flame till it slightly changes in its colour.
Preparation and Cooking Time:15 minutes
Serves: 4-5 persons
Fresh curry leaves - 1 cup, optimum packing
Coconut - 1/2 cup, chopped
Urad dal - 1 tablespoon
Channa dal - 1 tablespoon
Dry red chillies - 2 nos
Tamarind - 1 blueberry size
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds and urad dal - 1/4 teaspoon
1) Soak tamarind in two tablespoons of water.
2) Meanwhile, heat half teaspoon of oil in a pan. Roast urad dal, channa dal and dry red chillies separately and transfer to a plate once done.
3) In the same pan, add washed curry leaves and saute for few seconds. Transfer this to another plate and allow it to cool.
6) Serve with hot idlies.
1) Curry leaves can be replaced with mint or coriander leaves in this chutney.
2) Remove the brown part of the coconut to get nice colour for the chutney.
3) Increase or decrease the dry red chilli and tamarind quantity based on personal preference.