Mudakathan keerai is mainly used for curing the knee and join pain. In our native, many used to get this plant from our farm for the treatment of joint pain. Kids can also like this dosa and the green colour simply attract them. They can not find the healthy secret ingredient which gives the green colour in this dosa. Those who have not seen this creeper, please click here. A collection of photos of this creeper is given.
Soaking Time: 2 hours
Preparation Time: 20-25 minutes
Fermentation Time: 6-8 hours
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Idly Rice / Par boiled rice - 1 and 1/2 cups
Raw rice / Pacharisi - 1 and 1/2 cups
Urad dal - 1/2 cup, heaped
Mudakathan Keerai / Balloon Vine Leaves - 2 cups, roughly chopped
Salt - to taste
1) Wash both the rices and urad dal well and soak it for at least 2 hours.
2) Clean the mudakathan keerai. Pluck the leaves from stem and chop roughly. Keep it aside.
3) After 2 hours, grind the rice and urad dal together. Make a smooth batter. Add enough water to help grinding.
5) Add this puree to the batter and continue grinding for few seconds or until the puree incorporated well with batter.
7) After the batter fermented well, slightly beat it using a ladle and add water if required. (To make easily pouring dosa batter consistency)
8) Heat tawa/ skillet. When it is hot, pour a ladle full of batter to the center of the pan. Spread it quickly towards the end of the pan in a circle motion.
10) When the dosa cooked and the colour of it turns slightly darker, turn to other side and allow the other side to cook.
11) When both the sides are cooked, transfer to a plate.
12) Serve hot with any of your favourite chutney. But, it goes well with Tomato kara chutney, tomato onion chutney.
1) For the instant version of the mudakathan keerai dosai, simply make a puree of mudakathan leaves and mix it to the dosa batter.
2) Add green chilli, cumin seeds to the mudakathan keerai while grinding it to make puree for the spicier version of this dosa.
3) If you have left over batter, keep refrigerated and use it within 1 or 2 days.