This corn flour halwa is also called as Karachi halwa. Traditional this halwa is available mostly in red, orange and yellow in colour. I have also seen green colored corn flour halwa. I have tried this recipe many times with many colours. Feel free to add any colour of your choice.
Preparation Time: <5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20-30 minutes
Idle Time: 1 -2 hours
Corn flour - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1 and 1/2 cups
Water - 2 and 1/2 cups
Ghee - 3 tablespoons
Cashew nuts - 1/4 cups, roughly chopped
Cardamom powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Food colour - a big pinch or as required
1) In a frying pan, add 1/2 tablespoon of ghee and fry the roughly chopped cashew nuts. Transfer it to a plate and keep it aside.
3) In a mixing bowl, mix corn flour, food colour and 1 and 1/2 cup of water. Stir well till you don't see any lumps. Keep aside.
5) Now, stir the cornflour water mixture once before adding it to the sugar syrup. Stir continuously to avoid lumps while adding.
7) When it turns thick, add remaining 2 tablespoons of ghee and continue stirring till the mixture becomes glossy. It would try to flow out from the sides of the pan.
9) Transfer this to a ghee coated plate.
1) Instead of cashews, you can add pumpkin seeds, cucumber seeds and almonds to this halwa.
2) Use any food colour of your choice. Traditional Karachi halwa are available mostly in red, yellow and orange colours.