Fine, Coming to today's recipe which is nothing but a masala macaroni cooked in a desi style. At my home, no one likes pasta cooked in the traditional Italian style. Hence I decided to give a try using Indian masala. Of late this has become one of the pasta recipes I started preparing often. This dish is prepared using macaroni type pasta. You can use any of your favourite pasta type. I have already prepared Indian style spinach pasta. Not many liked it when I prepared it initially. But now, it has become a popular dish in our menu. Also, I prepare pasta recipes mostly for dinner. The pictures might look a bit dull as they were shot in fluorescent light. Guess you can adjust with me for this.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Macaroni - 2 cups, uncooked
Mixed vegetables - 1 cup, chopped (I added green capsicum, carrot and beans)
Oil - 3 teaspoons
Mustard seeds and urad dal - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Curry Leaves - 1 strings
Onion - 1 no, sliced
Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tablespoon
Tomato - 2 nos, cubed
Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Salt - to taste
Turmeric powder - a big pinch
1) Cook pasta as the instructions given in the pack. If you are in a hurry, you can also pressure cook it. Put pasta in the pressure cooker. Add water just to the surface of the pasta and cook for 1 whistle. Once the steam suppresses, run it in cold water and fluff carefully. This method works out good only for Indian made pasta.
3) Add curry leaves and sliced onion. Saute till the onion becomes soft and translucent.
5) Add vegetables and sprinkle a handful of water and mix well. Cover and cook in low flame till the vegetables get cooked well. Stir in between to avoid burning. Make sure not to over cook it. It should be firm and crisp.
7) Once the vegetables are cooked, add the tomato masala mixture. Add salt and turmeric powder. Mix well and cook till the raw smell of it goes off.
8) Add cooked pasta and gently mix well. Let it be for a minute in low flame.
1) Add Kashmiri red chilli powder for good colour.
2) Add any vegetables of your choice.
3) Adjust the spices as per your personal taste and preference.