Gone are the days when I used to cook only dal and kurmas for daily menu. Now I started including many rich gravies. Few are from my ideas and few are from cookbook collections I own. Sometimes, I tweak the recipe completely to make the cooking process easier without compromising on taste. Today's recipe is Dum Aloo from Nita Mehta's cookbook and it is highly modified to make the cooking process easier.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-35 minutes
Baby potatoes - 20-25 nos.
Oil / Butter - 3 tablespoons
Fennel seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Cinnamon stick - 2 inch piece
Green cardamom - 3 nos.
Black cardamom - 1 no.
Bay Leaves - 1 no.
Cloves - 3 nos.,
Onion - 1 no., large size, sliced
Tomato - 2 nos., medium size, cubed
Ginger - 2 inch piece, finely chopped
Garlic cloves - 3 nos., finely chopped
Cashew nuts - 2 tablespoons
Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Red chilli powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Kashmiri red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Garam Masala - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt - to taste
Kasoori methi - 1/2 teaspoon
Milk - 1 cup
Water - 1/2-1 cup
1) Pressure cook the potatoes for 2 whistles. Once done, peel the skin and prick using fork all the sides.
2) In a wide pan, heat a tablespoon of oil. Add the potatoes and shallow fry until all the sides of potato turns golden brown. Keep turning the potatoes using ladle or spoon for uniform browning.
4) Add onion and saute till it becomes soft and brown.
6) Add cubed tomato. Saute until the tomato becomes mushy.
8) Once cooled, grind it to a smooth paste. Add water if required.
10) Add the ground masala paste to it. Rinse the mixie with 1/2 cup of water and add it to the pan. Let it boil for 5-7 minutes.
11) Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, kashmiri chilli powder, garam masala, salt and kasoori methi. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
13) Add baby potatoes. Mix well. Cover the pan using lid and let it be for 3-5 minutes.
14) Open the lid and cook again for few seconds.
15) Gravy is ready and serve hot with roti.
1) Instead of baby potatoes, you can use normal round potatoes and cut them as 1 inch cubes before using them.
2) Instead of pressure cooking, you can deep fry the potatoes.
3) You can also use couple of tablespoons of khoya along with kasoori methi for richer taste to the gravy.
4) I added kashmiri red chilli powder for the colour and store bought red chilli powder for spicy taste. Adjust it according to your taste.
5) The final gravy was in thick creamy consistency. You can add more or reduce the water quantity as per the consistency you need.