I do have a habit of cleaning my pantry every time before I purchase groceries for the upcoming month. Even though I happened to miss few of the ingredients in occasional cases, those can still be found when my mil or mom visits my home. They used to clean every now and then when they come here and prepare some useful dishes out of any untouched ingredients.
When my mom cleaned the pantry last time when she visited here, she found a pack of horse gram. She asked me to prepare a powder that she often makes at home for my dad. I sun dried the horsegram (since it was bought few months ago) and them ground them to prepare this powder. After a short photo shoot I stored it in a airtight container for using it later but I need to say it is all over by a week time. I totally forgot about this powder recipe which I drafted few months before in my blog until I came across a the same powder from Nandoo's blog. So I thought of posting it today without fail.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 1 and 1/2 cup (approximately)
Kollu / Horse gram - 1 cup
Urad dal - 1/2 cup
Black pepper - 2 teaspoons
Dry red chillies - 7 nos., or as required
Garlic cloves - 3 nos.,
Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
Salt - to taste
1) In a pan, dry roast dry red chilli and black pepper nicely without burning them. Transfer it to a plate.
2) Add urad dal and dry roast it until it turns brown color and starts releasing a nice aroma. Transfer it to the same plate.
3) Add horse gram now and roast till it releases aroma. Transfer to the same plate and allow it to cool to room temperature.
4) Once all the ingredients are in room temperature, Add them to the mixer and make a powder of it.
5) Towards the end of grinding, add garlic cloves and asafoetida. Add salt to your taste. Pulse it again.
6) Allow this powder to cool to room temperature and then store in an air tight container.
7) Serve with hot steamed rice, idly or dosa along with ghee or gingelly oil.
1) My mom sometimes uses both urad dal, channa dal and few curry leaves for this making this powder. If you want to add channa dal with this powder, add 1/4 cup of it along with the measurement given above.
2) You can also use the brown colour horse gram for making this powder instead of black one.