One of our relatives of my chithi has citron tree at her backyard and sweet enough to send some citrons when my chithi visit her everytime. As you all know my family loves pickles and we often prepare home made pickles. So it would be a pickle time when we have citrons at home. Couple of months before, she sent some good quantity of citrons in a large plastic bag to my chithi. The moment she came home, the plastic bag torn due to over weight and all the citrons were spilled over. My self and her gather all the citrons and didn't notice the one which was under the sofa. We quartered all the citrons, added salt and kept aside for making pickle.
The very next day, my cousins were playing around and they found a citron which was hiding under the sofa. They came over and gave me the found one which I used to make this rice. The preparation is as same as the lemon rice and there was slight change in taste. But the flavor was very good which make our tummy hungry for sure. Try it out !!!
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Cooked Rice - 2 and 1/2 cups
Gingelly oil / Sesame Oil - 1 tablespoon
Narthangai / Citron - 1 no. (yielded little less than 1/4 cup)
Turmeric powder - a generous pinch
Salt - to taste
Gingelly oil / Sesame oil - 1 tablespoon
Curry leaves - 1 spring
Mustard seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Urad dal - 1/4 teaspoon
Channa dal - 1 tablespoon
Asafoetida - a pinch
Green chilli - 2 nos., slit
Dry red chilli - 2 nos.,
1) Spread the cooked rice in a wide plate. Drizzle some gingelly oil and fluff it using fork or just pat the plate to separate the rice grains.
2) Squeeze out the juice from citron in a small bowl. Add turmeric and salt. Mix it using spoon and set aside.
3) Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan. Throw mustard seeds, urad dal and channa dal to it.
4) After both the added ingredients are spluttered, add asafoetida, dry red chilli, green chilli and curry leaves.Stir.
5) After a minute, add cooked rice in simmer flame and warm it up. Once the rice is warmed well turn the flame off and add the citron juice to it.
6) Mix well and serve.
1) You can use either of both freshly cooked rice or left over rice.
2) Do not over-squeeze the citron which gives bitter taste from its skin.