A variety rice is my kind of dish that I rely on normally busy weekdays and sometimes on lazy weekends. But, these days me and my hubby started disliking it since it becomes dry after sometime, making us feel thirsty.
But I can't go for a proper full course meal during a busy workday. So, I decided to prepare an easy dish like raitha that makes my job easier and pairs wonderfully with any variety rice and takes away the dry nature of the variety rice.
A raitha is usually prepared by adding few spices to the beaten curd and variations can be done by adding any vegetables. It is mainly prepared to accompany hot and spicy rice dishes to suppress its hot and spicy taste
The raitha I am sharing here today uses green chillies, slightly on the hotter side, so as to accompany a less spicy variety of rice dish. You can also use a milder variety of green chilli. Don' t forget to add black salt and crushed cumin to get the nice flavor. This is the recipe from Simply South Cookbook.
Preparation time: < 10 minutes
Makes: 1 cup
Thick curd / Thick yogurt - 1 cup
Green chilli - 2 nos.
Fresh Coriander leaves - 3 tablespoons, finely chopped
Water - 2 tablespoons
Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon, crushed
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida - a big pinch
Dry red chillies - 2 nos.,
Curry leaves - 1 spring
1) In a medium size bowl, beat the yogurt well till it reaches the creamy consistency. Add cumin seeds and beat again.
2) Grind the green chillies and coriander leaves to a fine paste by adding two tablespoons of water.
3) Add this paste to the beaten curd along with required salt. Mix well to incorporate.
4) Heat oil in the seasoning pan and add mustard seeds to splutter.
5) Add dry red chilli and curry leaves and stir it for few minutes. Add asafoetida and turn off the stove.
6) Add this seasoning to the raita and mix again.
7) Serve immediately at room temperature or keep refrigerated till you serve.
1) The green chilli I used is the medium spice variety. You can choose the chilli variety as per your preference.
2) Use black salt for nice flavour.