Fresh jack fruit seed's white skin is difficult to peel, so keep it for a day or two and then cut them horizontally which make your job easier for peeling the skin. I just peeled the skin, pressure cooked it and prepared it like how my mom used to prepare when we were kids.
She also prepares it without coconut and just adds red chilli powder. but I like the version with coconut and the nice cumin flavored aroma the poriyal gives.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
For Pressure Cooking:
Jackfruit seeds / Palakottai - 1 heaped cup
Salt - to taste
Water - 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup
For Stir Fry:
Oil - 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 1 spring
Onion - 1 no., medium size, finely chopped
Fresh chopped coconut - 1/4 cup
Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Green chillies - 2 nos.,slit into two
Garlic - 2 cloves
1) Cut the jack fruit seeds into four pieces. While cutting peel the skin.
2) Keep immersed in water for few minutes.
3) After few minutes, wash the jackfruit seeds well and pressure cook it for 3 whistles by adding 1/2-3/4 cup water and salt.
4) Once done, drain and keep aside.
5) Heat oil in a tawa /pan. Add mustard seeds when it is hot and allow it splutter.
6) Add curry leaves and chopped onion.
7) Saute till onion becomes soft and translucent.
8) Add drained, cooked jack fruit seeds. Reduce the flame and gently stir.
9) Grind coconut, green chilli, garlic and cumin seeds to a fine paste by adding enough water. I added 2-3 tablespoons of water.
10) Add this paste to the jack fruit seeds. Gently mix and cook till the excess water content is absorbed and the raw smell goes off.
11) Server hot with roti or rice.
1) Sometimes jack fruit seeds cooks well for 2 whistle itself.
2) Instead of green chilli, you can also use dry red chilli.